Beauty Talk with Jessica Mauboy

Beauty Talk with Jessica Mauboy 
 

Ahead of her debut fragrance launch, we sat down with the Aussie pop star to find out her must-have beauty items and when she feels the happiest in life.

Since competing on reality TV show Australian Idol at just 16 years or age, Jess Mauboy has since gone on to become a household name, with platinum sales and a bunch of Top 10 hits.
Fast-forward 10 years, Jess is turning her hand to other business ventures including a debut fragrance which she designed herself (she even designed the bottle herself) set to hit stores next month.
Here, Jess fills us in on the process, as well as all the secrets we're dying to know about how she stays looking (and feeling) so darn good.
Congratulations on your debut fragrance. How was the process?
I guess the thoughts at the beginning were a little bit scary as I had never done anything like it, and didn't know the ropes. I'd never been a part of anything like it in the beauty product process. It's been quite a journey, a year and a half....maybe a little bit more. It's taken a lot of my music time.
What was the biggest challenge?
Once I got the hang of putting all the elements together, it made it really easy. And to be able to speak in fragrance language because there is another language that they speak. I needed to draw up my own diagram (laughs). It was obviously using the fragrance diagram which is the pyramid, and I needed to add my language and infuse my process of making a record into this. To be able to understand what I needed to do and what ingredients I needed to put into this fragrance. So my process is lyrics, melody and rhythm. That's what made it really easy for me I think, mentally and physically. Just to kind of relax into it because I was so nervous.
Do you stick to one fragrance or like mixing it up?
I'm a bit of a mixer. There's probably only three fragrances over my time of being in the industry that I use. One of my favourites is Chanel Chance, Balenciaga Florabotanica, and Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue. My mum used to have it.
The fragrance embodies both your glamorous and down-to-earth side. How important is it to you to have those days where you can just put on something casual and relax.
That was really the soulful story, the best part of making the fragrance. Taking people back to my reality, my world and both worlds. I do have that world of being fabulous, getting to dress up, red carpets, and all that kind of fabulous stuff. But then being able to go home and witness all those cutting up tropical fruits and sticking my feet in the salty water and watching the monsoon roll in, and smelling it before it even hits. With the fragrance I wanted to be close to home.
Many young girls look to you for beauty advice. Who are your beauty icons?
Growing up, it was definitely Mariah Carey. She's always been glamorous. I remember watching a documentary about her and her marriage to Tommy Mottola and her work being tied together, that's what she really struggled with. I think she really takes those challenges with a laugh and I respect that. Anything that's kind of difficult in life that you're having to juggle with, with people's opinion and facts about you. She's really witty about it. She just takes it as a joke and doesn't take it to heart. 
How important is it to you to play with fashion and mix up your choices?
Oh trust me, there's nothing like being in a big oversized flannel, I love it. I sometimes pray for those, just to have days where I can just hang out. It's a balance between both, and I think I've been able to balance that with being able to go home. That's my getaway. When I go home, I have no shoes, I'm barefoot. I crawl up to my parents and my sisters and just laugh.
What would you say are your must-have beauty items?
It would have to be lip gloss, but I swear by Maybelline mascara. Somehow it really opens my eyelashes up and it's quite gluggy, but I just love it. After performing, it's so annoying trying to get fake lashes off and the glue. The makeup is full on. I've been using Dermablend foundation. That's my number one go-to, especially when I need quick on-the-go makeup.
When are you the most happiest?
Definitely when I'm with my family, but I have to say when I'm eating salt and vinegar chips or pizza (laughs). Salty and sweet, why not! But my first love would have to be going back home, when I'm with my partner and my family. When I get downtime, I go straight to the DVD store and rent some DVDs, eat salt and vinegar chips. That's just my favourite thing to do.
 
SHARE

Education

  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment